Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Extreme Couponing on TLC


Tonight on TLC they are doing a show about Extreme Couponing (airing at 8pm ET) where they are interviewing four people who have been considered "extreme" couponers. These people have thousands of items in their stockpiles that they have gotten almost or completely free.

The airing of this show is causing a stir amongst some of my other bloggers for good reason. The show doesn't seem to be showing "regular" couponers in a decent light. Not everyone who uses coupons devotes rooms of their home to their sales/findings or has 70 hours a week to research deals like the participants of this show do.

I know, I know, they want ratings. That's all fine and dandy but I see a lot more negative repercussions of this show than positive ones, I guess. Sure it shows that using coupons can work to save you a lot of money, but they're also showing that you should buy tons of things.

I'm not extreme by any means. I never have more than 5-10 of any one thing, depending on its usage. Even having 10 of something can seem extreme to me at times. I love getting great deals on stuff but I don't want to devote a whole room of my house to my "finds". My grandpa (where I get a lot of my frugal ideals from) was a couponer and had a closet in the house for stuff that he could get inexpensively. I think thats about the most I would be able to do. It's nice to have a closet of back-ups but when it comes to taking over a whole room, it's a little much.

Here's more info on the show airing tonight. I don't know; I'm going to watch out of curiosity, but I don't know if I'm gonna like how couponers are portrayed in it.

If anyone has any thoughts feel free to email me or leave them in comments. I've seen the viewpoints of others on other blogs I read, but I'm never against hearing more.

No comments: